A different take on Valentine's Day

Last year I got a greenhouse for Valentine's Day. One of those tall
portable ones. I'd been going on about getting a greenhouse although I
wasn't quite expecting it for Valentine's Day. In fact, I didn't even
get it on the day.

My significant other doesn't like surprises. He doesn't like having
surprises kept from him and he doesn't like keeping them from others.
So I got my greenhouse on the 11th of February because he'd "spent all
day putting it together and couldn't wait three days to show me."

Come the morning of the 14th I asked if he'd got me a card. Confused
look. "But I gave you the greenhouse!"

I'm sure it will come as little surprise for you to find out that in
our house Valentine's Day has, yet again, already been. I arrived home
from work two nights ago to a grinning face hovering by the garage
door.

"Come and see your Valentine's present"

"No! Not again! It's meant to be a surprise!"

Crestfallen look. "But I can't hide it, it's already set up – I've
been working on it."

"Alright let's have a look then."

There on my recently acquired second hand bike was a pair of new road
tyres. All fitted and ready to go. Perfect for taking up my new hobby.
A greasy t-shirt and can of CRC lay nearby.

This whole present three days early thing is becoming a running joke
and to be honest it's so typical of the man I love that it just makes
Valentine's Day (well, week) doubly special.

But there's no escaping the fact that a greenhouse and bicycle tyres
aren't exactly the most romantic of presents. Chocolates and roses are
a thing of the past in our house, and quite frankly, it doesn't matter
a bit.

If you're struggling to decide between chocolates, flowers, teddy
bears or jewellery maybe consider getting something practical.
Something your Valentine actually needs.

Or do a job around the house they can't, or don't want, to do. If our
spare room, which has been in the redecoration process for the last
eight months, was finished as a Valentine's Day treat I would quite
happily forego chocolate forever.

Luckily it won't happen so I can comfortably make such outlandish promises.

I know a lot of people complain about Valentine's Day being a ploy for
card companies and florists to make their millions. "Corporate
nonsense", "you shouldn't need a special day to show your love" etc
etc.

Fine, these are fair comments but you don't have to buy a card – you
could make something. You don't have to buy a dozen roses – you could
buy bicycle tires. And while my partner and I say we love each other
every day without fail, it's not every day I get a brand new
greenhouse.

Maybe, just maybe, we could stop falling into the two camps of either
going all out or being a Valentines scrooge and interpret it another
way. Let go of your need for greatness or your feelings of cynicism
and do something a little bit different.

Most women really won't mind if you show a bit of initiative and think
outside the square, even if what you come up with doesn't seem overly
romantic. And if they do mind, they're probably not worth the effort.
That greasy t-shirt lying on our garage floor is dripping with more
love than any bunch of flowers ever could and I'm pretty sure it
didn't cost the earth. By Claire Hedgley

Popular Posts