Love is in the air...

By David Farrier

Valentines Day is named after a Christian saint named "Valentine" who
was beheaded after he was found to be secretly marrying young couples.

And today many New Zealanders did what they could do to stand up for love.

It was walk-about time at the Big Day Gay Out festival and love was in
the air, not just for the punters, but the politicians too.

"At least this year I remembered it, woke up gave my wife a kiss,"
says Labour leader Phil Goff.

The Prime Minister was also there, fresh from being crowned "sexiest"
politician in a survey by condom-maker Durex.

My Key says he regretted not being able to spend the whole day with his wife.

"My thoughts are with my wife, I'm sending her roses and gonna make
her dinner," he says.

"Shame I can't be with her all day, I have other commitments."

Meanwhile, restaurants up and down the country have been offering
special Valentines Day menus.

They love cycling in the capital, so that's what they did for
Valentines, the "Frocks on Bikes" club encouraged people to turn up
with their partners.

While Wellington was cycling, the Helensville Lions Club had their
annual "Running of the Roses".

In Pakistan, Valentines Day was cause for protest.

Around 300 female students burned signs and soft toys, saying
Valentines Day was un-Islamic, calling the event an unwelcome product
of western culture.

Popular Posts